November 13, 2009

Finale

Oh yay!! GEM is finally coming to a close!! And then its exams and then its holidays!!

The lessons learned in this class were merely tools in which greater analysis could be done. Most would have used these tools to analyse the people and cultures around them, but I prefer to use them to analyse myself. And that, in my opinion is the greatest benefit that i've gotten back from this module.

In a previous blog entry, i concluded that my personality traits largely subscribes to feminism. However, upon deeper reflection, with respect to the topic of cross gender communications, i realised more often times i speak like a male instead. I speak to challenge others' views, i am assertive in communicating my own ideas, i use a lot of profanities and i interrupt to shut others up. Well at least this is how i behave when it comes to work or school. I've subconciously made use of male speech dominance to make myself heard. In my private life, however, i tend to speak more like a female. I don't see the need to put across my ideas as important as maintaining a harmonious relationship. Let me give an example

In a project discussion
A: I think your idea may not be very cost effective.
Me: What the hell, were you even listening? I thought i already told you i can get a discount for this component? dumbo..

In a family dinner
Me: Shall we order pork ribs too?
Sister: I'm going for all vegetarian today.
*I was already salivating at the thought of eating pork ribs, but still..*
Me: OK. Let's not get pork ribs then.

Even though i think this is mainly a display of different gender communication strategy in different situations, this could also be a resultant of other factors such as power distances, collectivist strategy, politeness strategy, etcetera. Its hard to pinpoint when we are supposed to display a certain kind of behaviour, or what kind of specific behaviour should be used to tackle a specific situation. It is usually a combination of different tools which makes up one strategy in any unique situation.

All in all, i had fun attending this module, even though some parts were quite dry and technical. It was certainly interesting to investigate on how others would respond to my failed humour too! Especially when part of me really wanted to see the respondents' irritated expressions :P

3 comments:

Serene Ng said...

I think I can understand where you are coming from ont he issue of you speaking like a male during project discussion and like a female in private. Upon reflection, I have "experienced" both sides of you! haha! Well, employing what we learnt from our project, I think, we, generation Y, tend to be this way because we were brought up to be competitve due to streaming. Of course, this is more prevalent for us 1988 babies because there were just TOO MANY babies born in our year =)

Xudong said...

We get to know ourselves better by knowing others. This applies to cross-cultural communication as well. If we are not exposed to other patterns of communication, it'll not be easy for us to know how we communicate in comparison with others. Thanks for your honest comments on the course.

yiling said...

Moonie! Don't be rubbish! You were got always give in to us huh??!? Haha!! OWNED